Thursday, November 18, 2010

Revival Starts with the Individual

"O Lord, revive thy work" -- Habakkuk 3:2

Charles Spurgeon focuses on this one sentence from Scripture in his devotional, and that is all that he needs to get me thinking. For those in the Church seeking revival, they must first look to themselves. Too often we criticize the church, the pastor, etc instead of looking inside ourselves. What are we doing to encourage revival? One by one, becoming unified in the practice of revival, the Church does amazing things through God.

Spurgeon discusses the prevalence of joining the Church because it is popular. Though this wasn't written in the present day, I believe this pertains to Christians today.
"Many people have recently joined the Church in our country. But are there any fewer cheats than there used to be? Are there less frauds committed? Do we find morality more extensive? Do we find vice coming to an end? No, we do not. Our age is as immoral as any that preceded it. There is still as much sin, though perhaps it is more cloaked and hidden."
I resonated very much with this statement. We hide our sin, sometimes letting ourselves believe that somehow makes it better. Why aren't we real with each other? Hiding our sin won't help us get through the problem of sin. I have certain relationships where I can be completely honest with someone, and I've seen the benefits of that. As well as that aspect, why can't we be real with God? He knows everything already. Hiding anything at all from him doesn't work. I feel as though the Church would grow so much more if we were real with each other and God.

Spurgeon also says that another proof that the Church is in need of revival is the absence of sound doctrine. I've had a recent experience that relates very well to this. My home church wasn't doing well. I can see now that it was in large part because of the lack of sound doctrine. We spent two years searching and praying for the right person to lead our church, having a temporary pastor in the meantime. It was only a few weeks ago that we felt God had given us the right person. He accepted the call to lead us. It was such a learning experience for me. This started happening when I was in high school, and I didn't really understand what was going on. Now looking at the situation I understand a little better. I can feel excitement in the church--not just because of a new pastor, but because of a new page for us all. We had a dry spell for a time. People were leaving ministry positions and volunteers weren't as readily available. I'm not by any means saying that the church I attend is experiencing a big revival, but things are slowly changing. I personally see revival as something that almost needs to be gradual. It gives all time to adjust and be unified in God. And it all goes back to the individual. Person by person, congregation by congregation, revival can happen and spread.

Another important point by Spurgeon is that we aren't praying for a revival of ourselves, but a revival of the Lord's work. We can't revive ourselves. God can use us to revive his work if we only ask for opportunities and listen to him when he answers.

"It is not a new person or a new plan, but the life of God in them that the Church needs."

No comments:

Post a Comment